Qualcomm Atheros now offers its service provider customers passive optical network (PON) solutions to address the increasing bandwidth requirements of video and IPTV delivery, and content sharing from the cloud network, into and around the home and multi-dwelling units (MDUs). With Qualcomm Atheros Gigabit-speed PON solutions, our carrier customers may deploy next-generation, fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) broadband access with the OLT (optical line terminal) for networking from the central office and the full-featured ONU (optical network unit) system-on-chip for implementation in home gateways.
End-to-end gateway solutions
Qualcomm Atheros is providing end-to-end gateway solutions, including the PON ONU system-on-chip for access to the wide area network (WAN) and WLAN, PLC and Ethernet solutions for local area network (LAN) connectivity throughout the home. By leveraging our portfolio of Ethernet, Wi-Fi® and Powerline solutions, Qualcomm Atheros’ unique WAN-to-LAN platform not only delivers Gigabit speed, next-generation optical broadband access to the home, also enables intelligent routing and broadband sharing throughout the home.
Advanced features for PON-enabled gateways
Integrated 32-bit MIPS-4KEc microprocessor core for OAM, peripheral chipset and board management
- Integrated 802.3 2005 compliant PON MAC, 1.25G SerDes with Clock and data recovery
- Integrated 802.3 Gigabit Ethernet MAC for UNI interface
- Single Logical Link ID per-ONU
- Multiple queue sets report for the optimization of DBA
- Bi-directional wire-speed Forward Error Correction (FEC)
- Decryption with hardware-based 128 bit AES and CTC Triple-Churning
- 802.3x Pause Frame Support toward GE interface
- Comprehensive VLAN Processing (Transparent, tag, translation, etc)
- Extensive classification rule of up to 80 bytes into the Ethernet Packet for Actions including Copy, Forwarding and Queuing
- Traffic management for PON and UNI interface: shaping, scheduling, etc.
- Software-based Voice signal compression for G.711, G.729A (For OPL-06752)
- Internal MIB support, remote monitoring (RMON) statistic
- Dying gasp support
- Support IEEE 802.3ah OAM, China CTC extensions and user-specified functions